"at least I have a roof over my head."
ive thought long and hard about what was a worthy business to be the grand 500th, and reviewing the company that put a new roof over my head seemed quite appropriate.
part of me says 'Poor Glenn.' [owner of Sunset Roofing]. I met him with a defensive face, given I was sharing this huge home improvement project with my shared roof neighbor in my HOA community. We didnt exactly see eye to eye on things, and I was stressed about "caving" on certain aspects i thought were wrong decisions for our structure. Worried about picking the wrong roofer, the wrong approach, the wrong materials. Enter Glenn, who suggested coming out to speak in person with me after already meeting with my neighbor and providing his quote.
There is definitely something special to say about small, local businesses. on top of offering the most competitive quote out of the handful we collected, he:
- spent a good couple hours answering every question i had about roof-over vs tear down, his procedures, stated how he personally oversees every single job. went back on top of the roof for another inspection and to address my concerns (original roof, nearly 30 years old with minimal care from past owners). sometimes you just gotta look someone in the eyes to really trust them and be put at ease. Glenn did that.
- offered an 'online coupon' for several free roof venting...but went further to offer FREE installation of a solar attac fan I considered purchasing (and did btw, $300/free shipping from costco, 30% federal tax rebate).
- personally came back and dropped off a shingle sample when I was debating color choices (who cares about roof shingle color?? who notices? yeah, lol me.)
- picked up the phone every single time i called during business hours.
- Was always personable, patient, and available to answer questions and kept me in the loop
- and after the job was completed, came back on his own personal time to install my solar fan remote when he didnt even have to.
can we say wow? in the end, a roof is a roof is a roof. most companies are going to do a good, competent job (and yes, my roof looks great and hello, my rain gutters function finally!). but getting that personal touch isnt always attainable. working directly with the owner of a home improvement company isnt always attainable.
its the experience thats different and if you want a great experience i suggest you consider sunset roofing. Glenn will give you all these contractual details about materials, warranty etc, but I offer the little things that makes his company awesome.